Day 2, I want cabbage!!!!

Today is day 2 of my fast.  I am having a hard time understanding why I don't eat like this every day because I have SO MUCH ENERGY!!!  I have gotten more done today than I have in the last month.  I will not pretend not to be hungry....I am.  Considering the fact that I gained 6, I repeat 6 pounds over the Christmas holiday I suppose that is to be expected.  My tummy is used to being quite full.  Yesterday I had a green smoothie for breakfast, a fresh carrot and apple juice for lunch, and oatmeal with hemp hearts and almonds for dinner.  I was not terribly excited about my dinner.  New Year's day I made some super delish cabbage that I spent the entire day anticipating for dinner with some cornbread that I made all organic and with whole wheat flour.  Well my beloved took it to the camp, arghhhh!  I wanted to drive there and get it but it's and hour and a half away.  So for lack of anything more exciting I will tell you how to cook this cabbage, that has NO meat and I promise tastes amazing.

I did not say it was pretty, just yummy.
Sauteed Cabbage
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 large onion, sliced
1 head cabbage
jalepeno peppers, diced
Sea salt, to taste
1 tablespoon honey
Heat the olive oil in a large pot.  Add onion and saute a couple of minutes.  Cut up cabbage and wash in a large colinder.  Add cabbage, jalepenos[I use around a tablespoon but adjust it to whatever you like], salt, and honey.  DO NOT add any water, the cabbage has a high water content and doesn't need it.  Place the lid on the pot and let steam a few minutes.  Stir, and continue to cook until it gets tender.  We like a little texture left in the cabbage.  A lot of people cook it until it's mush but this is better if you stop it a little earlier.

I cook all my greens this way except most others require a little water added, I also add garlic to others but not cabbage.  My favorite is kale, don't let it scare you, it is delicious.  But you can also use mustard greens, collards, turnips, or spinach.  Hope you enjoy!

Comments

Popular Posts