Louisiana Snowmen Sugar Cookies

Corbin celebrated Christmas with his class Wednesday and these were our contribution.   I saw a picture of these on allrecipes.com and had to recreate.  We have actually had a little snow in Louisiana a couple of times in the last few years but when we do it is quickly melted.  This recipe is perfect for those of us that don't like to spend hours decorating cookies, the imperfection of the snowmen is what makes them so perfect.


Louisiana Snowmen
1 1/2 cups softened butter
2 cups white sugar
4 eggs, try to allow them to come to room temperature
1 teaspoon vanilla
5 cups all purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
Cream butter and sugar together until fluffy and smooth.  Add eggs and vanilla.  Mix flour, baking powder, and salt then add to creamed mixture.  That is the easy part but to get perfect cookies follow the rest of the instructions carefully.  

30 large marshmallows

I do not chill my dough ball.  Very liberally flour your work surface, I use a big marble slab.  Place half of your dough on the counter and cover with flour.  Press out a square until it is 2 inches thick.  Flour your rolling pin well and begin rolling.  Try to keep your shape somewhat uniform.  Roll until they are 1/4 inch thick.  I use a 3" diameter round cookie cutter but use whatever you like.  Cut and use an offset icing spreader to very carefully move to a parchment paper lined cookie sheet.  Place leftover dough to the side to be rolled again.  Continue with other half of dough.  Cover with plastic wrap and place in fridge for a minimum of 30 minutes, I put them in overnight.  Preheat oven to 325 degrees.  Bake aprox. 12 minutes, be sure to use a timer, overcooking is death to a cookie.   When cookie is done place a large marshmallow a little off center and place back into the oven for about a minute or until the marshmallow starts to barely puff.  Take it out and use your fingers to lightly press down just a little.  Ice these while they are still warm.

Sugar Cookie Icing
I like this recipe b/c it is so easy to adjust the consistency
4 cups confectioners sugar
4 tablespoons milk
4 tablespoons light corn syrup
1 teaspoon almond extract
Food coloring
Mix everything together except food coloring.  Drizzle white icing over entire cookie using a spreader to move it around if necessary.  Allow to harden, will probably take 30 minutes to an hour.  Next add a little powdered sugar to icing to make a bit thicker and color a little with red and little with black.  Use a ziploc or piping bag with a little hole snipped to pipe on the red scarf and black face and buttons.  Allow to dry before packaging.  


*Advice for baking perfect sugar cookies*
You do not want brown edges or a brown bottom.  If you look at the top of the cookie it should not be shiny, like raw dough, just a matte finish.  I know that sounds crazy but trust me on this.  Let them cool completely on the pan, never move your cookies to a cooling rack.

Comments

  1. These look delicious . . . maybe I can add them to my snowmen collection (but they wouldn't last very long). Have a Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love snowmen, especially whimsical melted snowmen... I actually made (and posted) a melted snowman ornament last week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. darling...I bet you have one of those binders like I do--full of everything you come across. The snowmen are great...as soon as I can find my counter (buried right now) I am going to give this a try

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts