Indian Tacos

I have a little park near my house that I love to walk.  This morning, after being a bit frustrated that my Pandora radio was not working on my phone, I enjoyed the quiet solitude hearing only the sounds of birds and a distant lawn mower.  Often when my mind wanders, which IS often, I end up thinking about food.  Recipes, memorable meals that I have had while traveling, conversations I have had over a good meal, wow can you tell how much I love food.  I have gained a few pounds this summer and am trying to lose them which makes me think of food even more.  Not really the best diet plan.

Get to the point you say, um sorry.  On a trip we went on to South Dakota we enjoyed Indian Tacos, actually we fell in love with them.  We liked Mt. Rushmore too just not as much as the tacos.  They are really simple but sometimes the simplest things are the most enjoyable because you can truly taste each component of the dish.  Fancy talk for simple street food.  Here is the recipe, I hope you will give them a try.  The most difficult part is making the fry bread and that's not difficult just a little messy, but so completely worth it.  

Indian Tacos
Taco Filling
2 lbs ground meat, I use ground turkey thighs but beef would be great too
1 diced onion
2 packages taco seasoning
1 can Rotel, spicy or mild you choose
1 can black beans w/ liquid
1 cup water
Brown your ground meat, add onion and cook until tender.  Add all remaining ingredients and cook with the lid off until much of the liquid is evaporated.  Keep warm until ready to assemble tacos.
This is what it should look like, you don't want soupy.
Next prepare your toppings.  I keep it very simple, cheese, lettuce, tomato.  You could add salsa, sour cream, etc. but I like the simplicity. The stars of this show are the fry bread and meat filling.  I enlisted a little help with the cheese, something about fresh grated just makes me happy!
He grated the whole block without complaining or eating half of it, wow!

Indian Fry Bread aka a little heaven in the mouth.
4 cups all purpose flour
2 tablespoons baking powder
2 teaspoons salt
2 cups milk
Vegetable oil for frying

Mix dry ingredients well, add milk.  Stir until it begins to form a ball, this could be done in a mixer or food processor but I do not like washing those things.  Place a hand full of flour on your counter or cutting board and begin to roll out circles pretty thin, maybe a little less than 1/4 inch.  This is an imperfect thing, I made mine too big around and had to cut the second batch in half to fit them into my pot.  Heat oil to 325ish and begin frying.  Very important key: you do not want to let them brown too much or they will be crisp, you want them to be soft.  Drain on paper towels and keep warm until all are fried and you are ready to assemble.

Spread meat filling on bread and top with desired toppings.  Fold to eat and enjoy!
You will likely have a little dough left over, my plan is to make beignets in the morning.  Simply roll them out approximately 1/4" thick and cut into rectangles, fry and sprinkle with powdered sugar.  Serve with cafe au lait, yum!


Comments

Popular Posts