Turkey Lombardi

I have looked so forward to summer's arrival this year.  We have had a bit of a rocky year with school at least in my 8 year old's life.  So I have daydreamed of relaxed days by the pool and no agenda or schedule. Boy was I WRONG!  We have not stopped so far.   I won't bore you with our schedule but having a 14 year old that is active can keep an entire family on their toes.  One of my goals for summer was to be sure my kids ate healthy and home cooked food as often as possible.  Last week I cooked ONE meal.  Very frustrating!  This week I am determined to cook at least 3.  Blogging is hopefully going to help me.  I am aspiring to make meals that both of my kids and my very health focused hubby will eat.  Easier said than done I assure you.  So this was my one meal last week.  I will blog the meals this week as I get them done and have thumbs up from my three men.  This recipe was adored by the entire family and completely gone w/in 2 days, it makes a big pan.  One important note.....you can make almost any dish wholesome by using quality ingredients and sneak in a few veggies.  Organics are important to us but you could make it easily w/ groceries from you local grocer if they aren't an option for you.

The ingredients
Turkey Lombardi
1 lb. ground turkey thighs (you could also use ground beef)
2 zucchini, grated, they are abundant right now
1 onion, diced
2 cloves garlic
1 jar pasta sauce (this is my staple, I use it in place of canned tomatoes to avoid heavy metals in our food)
1 lb. egg noodles, boiled al dente and drained, very important not to over cook b/c it's going into the oven
1 lb. mozzarella cheese, I use organic to try and justify all that fat :)


Sneaking in my veggies, by the time it simmers the kids will not notice them.

Simmering and making the kitchen smell wonderful.

Food makes this child extremely happy, one of the important reasons to teach him about quality ingredients.  I want my kids to be food snobs and think of themselves as too good to eat junky food.  We aren't quite there yet ;)

Brown ground turkey with onions and garlic.  Add grated zucchini and pasta sauce.  Allow to simmer until zucchini are cooked, 30 minutes or so, taste and season with salt and pepper, you could also add something to make it a little sweeter if you want, maybe honey.  When the sauce tastes perfect mix with noodles and one cup of the cheese.  Place in 9x13 pan and top with remaining cheese if you like cheesy, you could always use less if calories are a big deal to you.  Bake on 350 degrees 20 minutes or until cheese is melted.  Serve with a salad and you have a wonderful balanced meal.
The finished product!  This is so simple but you will not be dissappointed if you make it for your family.  My favorite parts are the little crispy pieces of pasta on the edges after it bakes, yum.

Comments

Popular Posts